Pair Wine with Everyday Food
Having the girls over? Ditch the predictable wine and cheese pairing! There’s no law that commands wine must be served with a side of cheddar or brie. Here, we’ll show you how to serve up your favorite kind of vino with everyday snacks.
- Potato chips: It’s everyone’s favorite salty snack, and it’s totally okay to serve with wine. To bring out the salty flavor of plain chips, pair them with a Pinot Gris or Sauvignon Blanc. For bolder flavors like barbeque or sour cream and onion, pick up a bottle of Merlot.
- Pizza: Give beer the night off, because full-bodied red wines like Chianti or Shiraz make the perfect complement to your pizza. If you’re having a white or seafood pizza, go for a Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio.
- Popcorn: Having a movie night, complete with buttered popcorn? Then break out the bubbly! Many people think Champagne (or sparkling wine) is only for special occasions, but you won’t believe how well the bubbles go with the buttery richness of popcorn.
- Chinese takeout: If it comes in that classic white container, then it’s going to taste excellent with a Riesling or White Zinfandel. The fruity notes work well with Chinese spices, and will make that egg roll taste oh so much better.
- Nachos: Because they are a corn product, nachos naturally lend themselves to a Chardonnay. However if you’re serving them alongside some spicy salsa, a slightly chilled Merlot will go down smoothly and help tame the heat.
- Veggies and Dip: For your crispy carrots and celery, a dry Sauvignon Blanc will bring out the flavors. But if you’re craving a red, go for a fruity Pinot Noir, served slightly chilled.
- Pretzels: You’ll want to pour a fruity wine that is slightly sweet to balance out the saltiness of a pretzel, like a White Zinfandel. This will be especially tasty with bold or spicy mustard dip.